WHY HIRING VETERANS IS GOOD FOR YOUR ORGANIZATION!
One of HR's most important roles is to ensure their organizations are able to attract great talent. Through their experiences and extensive training in the US Military, Veterans bring excellent skills, knowledge and expertise that organizations need, especially in this tight labor market.
- About the experiences and capabilities of Veterans and how those translate to the private or non-profit sector.
- How to leverage the expertise and value of Veterans in your organization.
- What you can do to attract and retain Veterans as valuable employees in your organization.
- Even more from our panel of experts on the value of Veterans.
- $35 Early Bird, Member Rate ($40 after September 10th)
- $50 Early Bird, Non-member Rate ($55 after September 10th)
MEET THE PANEL:
Jerry Harkin, Senior Consultant at FirstStep OD and Training
Jerry Harken was born and raised in Waterloo, Iowa, leaving immediately after high school to enter the United States Naval Academy, Annapolis, MD. He spent the next twenty-six years as a Surface Warfare Officer, retiring with the rank of Captain.
In the twenty-six years were eight sea tours which included two as Executive Officer and two as Commanding Officer. Following retirement, Jerry transitioned his experience into executive Human Resources roles. Jerry is now semi-retired, doing some consulting and maintaining connections with groups working to assist veterans to become employed.He has been a member of SHRM (national and San Diego chapters) and was a participant in the Workforce Task Force (Chair: Veterans Subcommittee). He has been a member of NCHR-SD since 2002 and a charter member of the NCHR-SD Leadership Council.
Sandra Fichter, MA, SPHR, SHRM-SCP, Fichter Silva Consulting, Inc.Sandra Silva Fichter is the owner of Fichter Silva Consulting, Inc., 'A Human Resources Services Company’ offering a full spectrum of HR services since 2007. Prior to 2007, Sandra spent 15 years in a variety of industries providing Human Resources expertise in such areas as talent acquisition, wage and hour law, employment development and strategic planning.
Sandra served in the U.S. Army, both in the enlisted and officer ranks; her specialty was in Global Logistic. She is one of the founders of JBS Transition Experts, Inc., a 501 (c) 3, and creator of the Career Transition Assistance concept from her personal transition experience as an Army veteran and from her interaction with job applicant veterans in her role as a Human Resources practitioner. Now, VetCTAP (A DBA of JBS Transition Experts, Inc.) is entering its fifth year of successfully assisting transitioning military, veterans and military spouses through their career transitions.
Jack Chirrick, Senior Director, Operation Homefront
Led nonprofit activities throughout the state of California to provide emergency financial and other assistance to wounded veterans and military families.
Navy veteran with more than 23 years of leadership and communication experience
- Orchestrated organizational successes in a broad range of dynamic settings
- Counselor who provides leadership with insightful views advancing mission interests
- Strong personal communication skills; expert writer/editor and authoritative speaker
- Self-motivated, team player who inspires synergy to advance organizational goals
- Proactive and highly creative project manager who ensures return on investment
- Quick to recognize trends and adopt effective strategies for mission accomplishment